Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tales of the Bored - Day 7

The Quest to become the most boring person within my zip code… in 32 days or less!

June 5, 2009 (Friday)

How much longer do I have to do this??? My friends kept telling me I should enjoy the chance to rest. I can do rest for a few days… but there are freedoms I would have enjoyed while resting that I can not do now. Go to the grocery for example. Or go out to withdraw money from the ATM. Simple things. I am not allowed to do anything.

Most of us take grocery shopping for granted. I’m beginning to realize how difficult it can get when you start trusting someone to do it for you. You arm them with money and a grocery list, and they pretty much get everything right on the list. What’s missing is the element of… surprise I guess? New items you would have wanted to try had you seen them. Or things not on the list but you remember you need (or simply want!) only because you see them on the shelves. Choosing alternatives is another thing. When something on your list is not available, you try to look for alternatives. Only sometimes, the person doing your grocery will decide on an alternative that you won’t have chosen had it been you doing the grocery. This is so frustrating!

Anyway, I spent most of the day on the couch watching movies from HBO (or was it Star Movies? I don’t really remember). You’ve Got Mail. Batman Returns. I remember watching Batman Returns when I was in high school. For some reason, seeing that movie was part of a school activity. Back in the province when I was in high school, there was only one movie theater that shows movies in English. And they were double features. You get to watch 2 movies (and waste most of your day watching those 2 movies) for the price of one. If I remember correctly, Batman Returns was doubled with Beauty and the Beast. Good times. Good times.

Later this afternoon, Ghost Rider was showing on Cinemax. Yep, I’m sure it was Cinemax. Because in the middle of the movie, the lights blinked… and went off entirely.

Power’s out.

Does someone out there hate me???

Strong winds and rain had been hitting our area for about a week now. If there was an upside to my incarceration, it’s that I don’t have to go out in that to go to work. I just lay there on the couch the entire time, pondering the fate that should befall me if we don’t get electricity back on soon. No going out. No lights. No television. My world seemed very dark indeed. The electricity was out for about an hour and that must have been the longest hour of my recent life that I can remember.

No comments: