Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Reminiscing crafts gone by

I have about 3 projects in progress (and only around 30 minutes per day to work on them so I think they will be finished like next month?) and about 50 others developing in my head. I think it's really sad that I don't have much time left for other things after work and Andrea. But I guess that's just how it is.

Anyway, I was trying to make room for my new craft supplies which led me to dig out the old ones to see which ones I can let go. Let me see... I tried paper embossing once, and bought several brass templates because I had grandiose plans of marketing personalized invites and crafted cards:

They were a little pricey but I do tend to get really involved when I get into a hobby so I wanted a variety of templates because of several design ideas in my head at the time. However... after a few hours of embossing, and 10 numb fingers... I figured this is not something I can do as a business. It will kill my hands! But I kept the supplies because the brass templates are pretty and I still use them on occasion, like the time I made my Christmas CD envelopes.

I also tried my hand at bead jewelry making. This one was a little more profitable and I enjoyed my small side business for about a year before my real job caught up with me and I didn't have much time to spend on my little hobby. I still have a lot of supplies left over (more like a small fortune tied up in semi-precious stones, swarovski crystals, pendants, tons of beads, etc):
 
 I did mention that when I get into something... I can get really, really involved? And back then, I didn't have a baby spend on attend to so...

My old product boxes with my logo. I  must have changed my logo a couple more time after this. I still use these as gift boxes whenever I give small personalized gifts.

Here's a few of my earlier pieces when I started out. I was able to sell all of these, but looking at them now, I think I should have kept a few of them for me...



You can click on the photos to enlarge them. These pictures were from before I had the patience to set-up my jewelry in better lighting and better backdrops for "real" shoots. My latter works, before I stopped, were more commercial-fad pieces (with better pictures!) but I think I like my earlier works better. I closed my online store already, but maybe I can take this up again one day (like when Andrea is 12?).

Anyway, to go back to my story... I didn't end up throwing anything away. Aarrggh! I'm like this sometimes. I'll just worry about this again when I need the spare room we're using as a store room for something else... like guests staying over at our place... which will be soon... but still, soon is better than now so for now, my stuff stays :)

No comments: