Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lounge Wear to 'Layered-Look' Shirt Refashion

My mom bought this... uh... I have no idea what it's called... lounge wear??? (Here in the Philippines... we just call it by the unglamorous term  'Daster' which translates loosely to 'house dress' haha).
It's American size XL... which means it's too big for her and... yey!! too big for me too!!! (I was just happy I don't fit in an XL, haha). Anyway... I really don't wear stuff like these, except for when I was pregnant and had to stay at home most of the time. So I did a little cutting here, and a little sewing there... and came up with this:
Now this is something I can wear.

Here are the details of my 'little cutting here... and little sewing there...":

First I took a white shirt whose fit I liked and laid the dress over it.
I just needed to see how much of the white shirt I needed. I live in a tropical country so layering like this is not practical. Based on this, I saw that I only needed the upper part of the shirt to about an inch below the armpits.

I cut the shirt.
It's actually just a promo shirt from my bro-in-law's cargo company so I don't really use the shirt much.
I pulled the dress over the part of the shirt I needed and secured them with pins.
My pin cushion is making a guest appearance on this post :)
Using a sewing machine, I sewed along the edges of the dress, front and back, to attach the shirt to the dress. My sewing was a little uneven along one side so I decided to hide the stitches using a rolled fabric flower using blue t-shirt scraps :)


This picture was taken with me facing a mirror so the flower appears on the left shoulder (reflection). It's actually sewn on the right shoulder.

This project is linked up to the following link parties:

1 comment:

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

What a great ucycle! It turned out great. :)