Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Versatile "Modular" Necklace

"Modular" sounds a bit technical but it's the only word I can think of right now to describe my latest necklace.

I initially wanted a double layer pearl necklace. But when I finished it, it looks too formal for me to wear everyday so I started over. I wanted a necklace that I can wear with a dress, and with jeans-and-tshirt too. So I started with the basic necklace:
The total length of the necklace is 32 inches. The hoops and the flat circle charm is where I will be attaching my "modules". To measure where I wanted to put them... I used a tape measure held around my neck to the length I wanted the necklace to be, and noted where I wanted the "modules" to hang from.


Next, the "modules":
The possibilities of what you want to add to your basic necklace are endless! But for now, I only made 2: a string of the same pearls used for the basic necklace, and chains. At the end of each "module" you can use a clasp. You will use this to attach your "modules" to your necklace. I used oyster clasps for mine. For the chains "module", I used 3 clasps.

You can then attach the "modules" to the basic necklace like this:

So now, I can have the double layer pearl necklace I wanted...
...and a more casual multi-layer necklace!
And the fabric flower? You can change that too. Those are clips which you can clip to the flat circle charm. Use a new flower, and you get yet another new look!
Some ideas for other "modules" to attach to the basic necklace:
  • string of pearls with a different color for a two-tone look;
  • a string of other types of beads for a funkier vibe.
If you decide to try this, share it with me. I would love to see what you come up with!

This project is linked up at the following link parties:
Craft Couture Mondays at Craft Couture | Made by You Mondays at Skip to my Lou | Market Yourself Mondays at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do  | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Craft Edition | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings  | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Wednesday Link Party at Tea Rose Home | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac

    3 comments:

    Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

    This is beautiful! I'm a new follower now :)

    Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

    Wow! I love all the versatility! Thanks for sharing!

    Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

    Loving this! Thanks for linking up to Craft Couture Monday.