Monday, March 21, 2011

Layered Tulle Skirt

Last week, I was hoping that come Monday, I would have a 'decorating' post ready. I was so excited to start decorating our home again after a long, long time. Our living room has been dominated by Andrea's toys and equipment all of last year but I was planning to decorate the entrance area of our home at least. But it was not to be (nanny went home for the weekend so I was the only one taking care of Andrea and didn't have much free time).

I was able to find time for a quick project though. I had a little bit of pink sheer fabric left and decided to make it to a tutu skirt for my 2-year-old niece, Helaena (Andrea already has a store-bought tutu). It was only 37 inches wide, apparently, not enough to make it ruffle a lot to make a tutu. So I ended up with a layered skirt instead.

I love that pink sheer fabric! It has small leaves woven in it in white thread. So delicate! Sadly, I only bought a yard of it 5 years ago, way way before I learned how to sew, to make a small patch.

I used pink gena silk for the skirt lining, and added 3 layers of pink tulle under the pink sheer fabric.

I sewed all 5 layers (gena silk skirt lining, 3 layers of tulle, pink sheer fabric) together, and then added black elastic on top. I made the tulle a little bit longer than the outer fabric.

I finished the skirt in around 2 hours last Saturday and we gave it to Helaena in the afternoon when we went to my mom's house. And here she is wearing it last Sunday to go to church:
Those shoes are all glittery and lights up when she walks... she loves them!
NOTE: The lens of our camera is not working properly so I only used my camera phone to take pictures :( The picture of my niece wearing it was actually taken by mom and sent to me via MMS.

I linked up to the following link parties:
Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug BlessingsGet Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Made by You Monday at Skip to my Lou | Sew Cute Tuesday at Creative Itch | Take-a-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | Craft Couture Monday at Craft Couture | Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design | Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts | Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple | Wednesday Link Party at Tea Rose HomeWe Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | Sugar & Spice at Seven Thirty  Three | Make It Wear It at The Train to Crazy | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S. at The Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | Sew Crafty Saturdays at Wildflowers and Whimsy | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative |

9 comments:

Anne Maskell said...

The fabric is so pretty! I'm sure your niece loves her lovely new skirt!

~Beth D. said...

agree. the fabric is lovely! good job.

Unknown said...

Lovely skirt!

I am having a giveaway on my blog. $35 + free shipping to get a custom trendy backpack for your niece from Paige Holliday Designs. All you have to do is leave a comment. ends 3/23.

http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/35-store-credit-free-shipping-to-get.html

Andrea said...

Such a sweet skirt! I hope you'll link it up to Make It Wear It @ TheTrainToCrazy.com!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

found you via Train to Crazy.

Love this skirt. My oldest in ballet so I am always looking for new ideas for tulle!

Unknown said...

That is very pretty fabric. Great job!

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

Very Pretty!!!!I'd love it if you would
link up over at the glitter party! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-tues-thurs-link-party.html

Melissa said...

Darling skirt. I just bought a bunch of pink tulle and was trying to decide what type of skirt I wanted to make my daughter!

I'd love it if you'd check out my Party on Tuesdays: http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-sew-fun-tuesday-6.html

Unknown said...

So sweet & cute! Happy to see all your creative ideas linked up last week at my K.I.S.S. blog bash. Looking forward to seeing what great project you share this week, remember the link is open until tonight @ midnight {CST}.

Drop by The Tattered Tag