Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rain, rain, go away...

... and please leave us alone today.

According to the news, 90% of Metro Manila was submerged in flood waters yesterday. I am one of those fortunate enough to live in the 10% that wasn't. 


Last time something like this happened was 3 years ago, when typhoon Ondoy hit and areas that do not normally experience floods were submerged in flood waters. Yesterday, there was no typhoon, just a tropical depression that dumped tons of rainwater over half of the Philippines. In 2009, I was oblivious to the events unfolding around me. Yesterday, part of me was wishing for the same oblivion. Watching people being rescued from their rooftops, especially families with small kids, babies even, and elderly, by ill-equipped rescue teams as waters literally raged beneath them, was heart-wrenching.

And today, it's still raining, and most areas are still flooded, but life goes on. And rescue and relief operations continue.

-oo0oo-

I started creating this layout today with something different in mind. But I can't get the rain and the flood out of my head so...

Elements from: April Showers collab kit by Sunny Day Scraps and Whispy's Dzines, and Magic Bathtime by butterflyDsign
This photo was taken last weekend when the rain was only a slight drizzle. I consider myself very blessed to not have photos of the flood to share.

I made this layout as part of Digidesignresort's Photo Challenge for August 2012.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Pretty layout Janelle! So sorry to hear about all the floods - glad you're safe and well!

Deepthi said...

Sorry to hear about the floods.... Hope and pray that you guys are fine...